[INTERVIEW] Yoon Bak's Spring

In front of a wall with flowers blooming, we captured the romantic moments of Yoon Bak. He perfectly blend in with the background full with sentiment of spring. And then, we shared our thoughts on acting, youth and love.


After the recent drama "My Shy Boss"d, Yoon Bak is already waiting for "The Package" of which the filming was completed during the end of last year. He will be joining the filming of web drama "Magic School" produced by JYP Pictures very soon. In between these, he participated in a few variety shows. That's how Yoon Bak keeps appearing on TV. Just like the characters Cha Kangje in "What Happens to My Family?", Park Jaejoon in "Queen's Flower", impression of Yoon Bak is naturally related to words like 'sharp', 'dandy' and 'gentle', but we realized as we met him in real life that he's actually very playful and cheerful. His low voice and his lively laughter linger around the alley in the afternoon. Crouching and smiling on the wall on which he climbed up on for the photoshoot, giggling as he inserted the flower he picked up on the street into his hair, Yoon Bak is the kind of man that is hard to dislike for anyone. After the photoshoot, we sat down with Yoon Bak in a quiet coffee shop.



You finished the drama "My Shy Boss" not a long time ago. What are you doing these days?
I'm looking after the dogs, drinking with my friends and sometimes going on some variety shows. I filmed for "Running Man", "Empty the Convenience Store", "My Ear's Candy" and even "Wednesday Food Talk".

How did it feel to be on "My Ear's Candy", the topic of the town?
I felt different kinds of emotion while filming. I felt heart-fluttered, happy and sad. There was a time where I felt unexpectedly surprised. I felt so many emotions that one would feel during a real relationship.

Is it possible to be immersed like that with just phone conversations?
It was possible? That's why when the filming was finished, I asked the PD why she'd create a program like this (laugh). This is something that you wouldn't be able to feel if you haven't been in it for real.

You were a fixed in "Father and I", "Mr. Baek", etc. and were also a guest on other variety shows like "Radio Star" and "Running Man" a lot. Do you tend to enjoy filming for variety shows?
Being a guest was comfortable and fun but being a fixed was quite tiring. If I come out as a guest, all I have to do is to enjoy that episode, but if I'm in charge as a fixed, it gets quite stressful. Each cast has got their own role, don't they? That makes me question, 'What kind of role should I do in this program". I'm not a person who always speaks logically nor fun, that made me intimidated.

Which of thevariety show was the most fun among the programs you filmed for recently?
They were all fun to the point that I can't easily pick one. In fact, "My Ear's Candy" was quite a burden to me. The viewers expect something from the program, don't they? Especially romantic scenes between a man and a woman? I'm not the type who can lead coolly. That's why I was very concerned. During the meeting with the writers, I also asked "I'm not such kind of person, would I do well in this program?". I was just like how I usually am during the filming though.

I heard that you were in France for the pre-produced drama "The Package". How was it?
I wanted to come back to Korea (laugh). Because I didn't go as a vacation but because of work. And as I had to stay in one place for a long time because of filming, I couldn't go to anywhere I wanted to visit anyway. Still, I had less shooting than other actors, so I was able to go to a lot of places. I began to understand why people always tell others to visit foreign countries. Though I couldn't speak their language, and it's a place I wasn't familiar with, when I was in that situation, I put in more effort? That's why I realized that I am able to do everything in Korea, where I can speak the language of, have a lot of people I know and know the ways of. I learnt a lot.

In which part of France were you at?
I was in Mont Saint-Michel for 3 weeks, Deauville for a week, and lastly Paris for around 10 days.

Any happening that was the most memorable in France?
I went to the art museum alone. Usually in an exhibition, there're either people who watch everything quickly, or people who watch very slowly. Their speed are almost the same. However, there was this foreign lady who always meet my eyes all the time. I thought to myself, 'will a destined love blossom like this?', but I was not brave enough so I didn't talk to her.  The fact that I shared my feeling with a person I don't know in a foreign place was nice.

You must've gotten close with the actors who were with you, do you guys work well with each other?
We totally became close. We drank every night and talk about different stuff. Actually, we didn't get to meet anyone else besides the cast. Even as we came back to Korea after the filming, we always say "let's meet up", but since we have our different schedules, we still haven't been able to meet up.

Do you enjoy traveling?
No, in fact one of the things that I regret the most is that I didn't get to travel a lot during my 20s. When I was a student, I thought traveling is a kind of playing around so even during holidays, I always gathered with my friends and created theater dramas. I thought that if I played around at that time, I'd fall behind. Now that I think of it, I didn't understand what traveling could mean to one.

What's the prioritized points that you'd have when selecting a piece of work?
Back in the days, I'd do it if I like the script. Even if the character is just so-so, if the script is good, I'd want to do it. Now I want to choose the characters that I can play well, and can enjoy acting as. I guess I want to gain my courage. I want to gain confidence and receive compliments when playing a character that I can naturally act as. But of course, there's nothing easy.

Are you the type of person who care about the public response after the drama was on air?
Yes. I look for everything. There are a lot of harsh comments too. It actually helps when I think of how I'm still lacking and things I need to fulfill. On the contrary, I'm the type who's unable to receive praises.

After graduation, you began your full-scale acting activities. What's the difference as you first visited a filming site?
It was hard for me to get used to the system at first. There were cameras, and acting with sunbae who I'd seen on TVs was so unfamiliar to me.

Have you ever thought that you should've debut earlier?
I've never regret my choice. Although I began acting because I wanted to be famous, as I started to act, I realized I had never really thought about wanting to become a star. I just dream of being able to act till I'm around 80 years old. There're many people who grumble as they couldn't solve the problems of military service or school. As I've graduated from university and went to army soon after, I am able to focus on acting.

It seems you've never thought it's late or was worried because of it.
To be honest, the time right before graduation was scary. When graduation came closer and closer, I kept thinking about what I should do after graduating, and I became very worried. It was lucky that I was able to work right after. I was thankful.

When did you ever experienced catharsis while playing a character?
Say there's an emotion A. I don't necessarily have to show emotion A while acting, but if A does come out, I feel a sense of delight. There're moments where I feel "I really have become one with the character". That's something that I'd know right away even without monitoring.

Is there any scene that was like that which was memorable to you?
There was a scene where the father left a video message to his five kids in "What Happens to My Family?". After that, the father told us to come out and eat, Hyungsik and Hyunjoo noona went out and I was left alone. I told the father that I love him. While filming that scene, I felt that I really became Cha Kangjae and was so delighted.


What is the next character that you want to try?
I want to be someone rough, a jobless uncle. (laugh) I want to try a character who doesn't have a rule, someone who is thoughtless. A character that doesn't need much dressing up. And I want to stop wearing suit.

Are the usual you much different from who you are shown as an actor?
I think it's quite similar. Ordinary Yoon Bak meet people and live, actor Yoon Bak also run into people and work with them anyway. So there's no big difference.

What kind of person is ordinary Yoon Bak?
A nice person who enjoys living.

Do you think enjoyment is important in life? What's the most valuable to you?
Physical and mental health. I reckon one can only think brightly, and is able to do something one wants to do when he/she is in a healthy state. I think I'm a person who puts effort in having fun. When I was young, I didn't want to show that I was hurt so I intentionally showed others that I was bright. Living like that gradually changes me too.

Then don't you become miserable when you're alone?
I'm alright as I'm with my dogs. Because I can talk with my dogs. Although it's just me talking one-sidedly. (laugh) When I'm feeling down, I just drink alcohol with friends and watch movies. I've never been alone and feel lonely. However, with this personality, it could be difficult to act sometimes. Since I've always wanted to show my bright side, and kept the negative emotions inside me, when I have to express darker emotions, I can feel my effort is not enough. Actor is a kind of job that needs to express various emotions, right?

Now that spring has arrived, what's the thing that you want to do the most?
Dating. And going to the baseball field.

Do you like baseball?
Yes, I love it so much. I also play community baseball, though I can't play it well. I want to visit the baseball field often but I can't really do that. When I say I always go, it's just like 2~3 times a year? When I was in France last year, it should've been the playoff season, I told myself to watch the games even with the slow 3G. I was that into it.

You're a fan of LG Twins, right?
Yes. They're number 1 right now.

Do you think they can remain in that position?
This interview will be out in May, right? At which rank will they be in May... (laugh) I don't really cling to the rankings though. It'd be great if they're ranked high, that's for certain. But even if they're not doing well, nothing changes. Because I've given up on the result.

When's the moment in life that you would call it 'spring days'?
I think right now is spring for me. People tend to make goals as they live, don't they? I think I'm achieving my goals one by one now.

Is there a goal that you've achieved recently?
It's not really a recent event but I bought my father a car last year. Now my next goal is to buy a house. House is expensive. When I've achieved that, some other goal would be set, right? Though my goal as an actor is different.

What's your goal as an actor?
In the bigger picture, my goal is to act till 80 years old. A smaller goal is to be in a role that is similar to myself, and be able to act naturally.

You've become 31 this year. How did it feel?
I felt nothing. I always joke around, saying, 'Ah, I've become a 30 something. I'm already 31', but it really is nothing to me? It's just like that. I want to get married when I'm in my mid-30, so I do think that there's not much time left. When I've become 40, I think I'll feel weird.

Is there any reason that you want to get married at that age?
I think if I wasn't an actor now, I would've been married already. Recently, the desire in taking care of a family that I can be responsible of suddenly appears in my mind.

Did you want to get married in your early 20s?
In all the relationships I had before, I did think that I'd be getting married with my partner. Every time. That's why eventually I told myself that I should not date with such thought in mind.

Is there anything you did during your 20s that you're most proud of ?
The fact that I attended university. That's because I got into the place I dreamt of. Being able to go to the school and the major that I wanted to go is something meaningful to me.

Was your university life like how you dreamt of?
I enjoyed it. My university life wasn't anything incredible, but I never questioned myself why it'd be like that and just enjoyed it. I think I worked hard in my way, but I still feel that 'I should've put more effort in it. I should've concentrate more".

In contrast, is there anything you regret?
This is something that I should probably feel apologetic of but I didn't really experienced any painful love. I regret not having the experience of crying and being sick for days and nights because of some painful love.

What was your biggest worry when you're in your 20s?
Can I survive with being an actor? Will I be able to become a good actor? I worried about that both when I was in university and after debut. If I work persistently, will I be acknowledged? I had many worries related to career.

Have you found your answer?
I'm still looking for it. They're the same worries I have in my 30s.

Any words you want to say to the young people who are living fiercely?
I want to tell them to do everything they want to do that is within the legal boundary. I was talking about that with my friends yesterday as well, that 20s is the period when one can try anything. I didn't understand why the older ones told us that "you're at the age of being able to do everything" when I was young. Now I understand what that means. It's the age where you can start again if what you've done so far is not what you want, no matter what you want to do is. Because you're not old yet.

What's the most meaningful to the present Yoon Bak?
Love. The feelings one gains while being in love. That's what meaningful to me these days. I watched "A Moment to Remember" the day before yesterday, and it was so sad. I watched "Christmas in August" too and it was sad as well. I don't often watch melodrama. However, I look for melodrama movies to watch these days.

Has it been long since you were in a relationship?
I guess it's hard to find someone whose heart connects with mine. It's almost like a miracle to have someone I like liking me too. Where will that person be?

Is there a standard where you'd think you can be in a relationship with this person?
Someone who speaks the same language as me. We tend to like someone more if we're able to converse smoothly with him/her, don't we? That's the same for talking on phone and messaging.

Last question. What would you say to yourself in the future who might read this interview again?
What I have in mind right now is, are you dating someone good? I'd be glad if you're in a nice relationship. There's nothing else rather than this that comes to my mind right now. (laugh)


Source: allure
Translation: JYPWhispers
Please take out with full credit.
Previous
Next Post »