[INTERVIEW] Nichkhun: I’m an ‘Entertainer’, Doing Public Welfare But Not to Entertain



There’s a kind of hidden link between those inside and those outside of the entertainment circle. They’ll toss an ‘olive branch’ to outsiders in circumstances of no preparation - they are scouts. There are many people in the entertainment circle, Nichkhun, who was pulled in by a scout, is one of them. Nichkhun’s life trajectory was changed after receiving this ‘olive branch’. His previous dream as an adolescent was to be a photographer, he had hoped to tell stories using photos. He still tells stories now, only the photos have been exchanged with songs and characters instead. The entertainment scene has allowed him to discover a talent he didn’t even know he had. He said: “I am a natural entertainer”.


Encouraging others, to become better, to work hard - those are the words that Nichkhun says often. Perhaps it is due to the influence of his overseas education, he emits a strong sense of individualism and self-awareness in his personality. He is constantly working hard to “become a better person. Furthermore, to use my reputation and influence to inspire even more people”. One must learn to conduct themselves prior to learning a skill or art. Before the fame and profit of the ostentatious entertainment scene, he has maintained a clear mindset. Nichkhun is also practicing hard in the field of acting. “I can’t say that I can be considered a good actor because I am also just starting out. There’s still a lot to learn.” In the future, Nichkhun will also demonstrate new aspects of singing and performing, he will appear in films, release singles and demonstrate his specialties through different works as well as to influence even more people.


Born an Entertainer
Because he had only just recently begun learning Chinese, he could only converse briefly using Chinese. Nichkhun didn’t particularly speak a lot during the interview,. At first [we] thought it was because of the language barrier. We only discovered later that it was because he is a very shy person, and that it was his shy disposition that almost stopped Nichkhun’s career in performing arts. Nichkhun was discovered by a scout when he was 20, his shy personality caused him to reject this opportunity. “I didn’t even dare to speak in front of everyone, let alone to dance and sing - to me that was a nightmare”, but with the support of his parents, he decided to give it a try. However, he encountered great difficulties soon after; training to dance and sing required much effort. As someone who didn’t even particularly want to be a singer, Nichkhun couldn’t find that motivation. “I even thought of packing up, returning to the US and going back to school”. It was a final call with his parents that allowed the entertainment circle to keep Nichkhun, “They told me, it doesn't matter if you come back or not, but think about it: this is a one in a million opportunity - why not try it? We will still support you even if you fail”. Nichkhun’s parents have always been a source of strength, even up to now the people he is most grateful to are his parents. “At first my parents would explain to me a lot of reasoning - I never listened. However as I grew up and matured, I realised what they said made a lot of sense. They help me to become a better better person so all along I’ve always been very grateful to my parents”.


Along the way, Nichkhun has experienced all kinds of hardships that only he knows. But it is his many years of efforts that has honed his determination, “The most difficult thing was to challenge myself, to move out of my comfort zone and try out new things both in my life and career. If there is something you really want, just go do it. No need to think about whether or not it’ll turn out badly. Because no matter how you start, if you try hard enough, you can still do better, you can become a great master.” Nichkhun has been moving forward by relying on this conviction. He didn’t used to think that he had any sort of special skills but looking back now he says: “I discovered the self I didn’t know of before, I’ve achieved it, I’m very happy I did.” Now that he has fallen deeply in love with his career, “I’ve discovered that I have this ability. I think I’m a natural entertainer”. “Entertainer” [T/N: the word also refers to joy and fun] is not a common label in entertainment, but in Nichkhun’s eyes, his job is to make everyone happy. Whether it be through singing or acting or participating in variety programs, he hopes to bring happiness to everyone. Therefore he doesn’t want to give himself any specific label, “I’d rather if everyone called me an ‘entertainer’”.



Wanting to Be a Hero
Besides appearing in variety program ‘We Got Married’, ‘Entertainer’ Nichkhun has also acted in dramas and films in China. Drama ‘One and a Half Summer’ left the deepest impression on him. The role in this drama seemed like it was made for him. In the drama, Nichkhun portrayed an American university student who had come to China, and left with the deepest impression of China’s traditions and culture. Although Nichkhun followed his parents to migrate to America when he was two, the Chinese blood within him still connects him to a love for the Chinese culture. Now he is working diligently to learn Chinese characters, he always says: “Chinese characters, interesting, interesting”. During the interview, he even used Chinese to start some communication. Although his language was very simple, his pronunciation was very pure. He was full of curiosity and enthusiasm towards Chinese characters. He will visit China often in the future to meet fans, of course bringing with him new projects, “I’m currently in discussions for a film, filming will begin very soon. I hope this film can be quickly released in China. In addition, regarding my acting career, I will also be involved in a series of other projects in the future. I hope to be able to release a single by the end of the year, hold some concerts and have more interactions with fans.”


Speaking of performing will lead to speaking about acting. Regarding the criticisms of acting skills that young actors are subject to, Nichkhun said: “I can’t say that I can be considered a good actor, because I’m also just starting out. There’s still a lot I need to go learn”. He will ponder over and study acting through watching films and actors’ interpretations. Talking about acting will also lead to talking about roles. After being asked about the particular roles he would like to try, Nichkhun pondered for a moment before saying: “Hm…...the hero?” and then he laughed, embarrassed, before continuing to speak: “I myself am an active person, I’d like to try an action film in the future. But I’ll still need to see what kind of scripts I receive in the future. I still need to do well what I’m doing right now”. Nichkhun is full of curiosity for the future, “I’m deeply aware of a truth, that ‘life is limited while knowledge is unlimited’. I fee inquisitive about everything I do, I want to become better, I want to improve myself” , he added: “If you want to be better, you need to work hard at all times.”


Giving Back to Society with a Smile
Nichkhun has always been active in influencing more people to contribute to public welfare. Whether it is in Thailand or China, there is a figure of his charitableness. This time Nichkhun will use his identity as the ambassador for the China Children and Teenager’s Fund to show care for the healthy growth of Chinese children and teenagers. Public welfare has become a part of Nichkhun’s work life, “Actually public welfare can also be something very small, like giving someone a smile or appreciating the lives of others for example. It doesn’t necessarily require money, rather it’s to hope for others’ lives to be better”. With this aspiration, Nichkhun’s steps on this journey of public welfare have never stopped.

Artists doing public good can easily become a focal point of controversy. Regarding controversy, Nichkhun said: “As time passes, people will know that I don’t participate in charity activities for the fame and fortune. I do these things because I can make a difference in the world, the country and society. I don’t pay attention to what people say, as long as I can always do what I can do to assist those who need help I’ll be very happy.” To influence more people, Nichkhun works even harder, “I will continue to work hard, I’m very happy to see my fans see me as an example. To use a portion of my strength for charity projects, my mother would do the same. My parents would always tell me: what comes from the people should be used for the people. So as long as I can let the people beside me feel happy, I will believe I have succeeded.”


Unmasking [His] Youth: Secrets of Nichkhun’s Youth
Seeing the Nichkhun that is brimming with youthfulness, you subconsciously will want to find out about his youth - let’s discover the secrets of Nichkhun’s youth together.


Xinhua Entertainment: What was your dream when you were younger?
Nichkhun: I was a very bright person, but not the kind of clever that was good at maths. I really liked art and photography so my biggest dream was to become a famous photographer.


Xinhua Entertainment: What did you do to pursue your youthful dream?
Nichkhun: I went to Hawaii with my friends recently. We took a lot of photos and also made an album. I’ve always loved photography so I’ll take many photos - whether it be using my phone or camera. I believe photos are very mysterious, they can tell many stories.


Xinhua Entertainment: Were you a rebellious youth?
Nichkhun: In the past I wasn’t considered a well-behaved boy. I also experienced a more rebellious period of time and felt that you can’t turn back to what has already happened. However I’ve never done anything to grieve my parents.


Xinhua Entertainment: What was the craziest thing you did when you were younger?
Nichkhun: From when I was younger until I was older, my father had never bought for me any kind of toy because my family’s financial conditions were average. The money at home was all used to buy food and necessities. At that time, I saved up a bit of money and bought myself a game. My father found out later. I told him why I bought the toy, and had put in a lot of effort to save up the money. Finally he expressed that he understood clearly.


Xinhua Entertainment: Not considering youth, what do you believe one should do the most?
Nichkhun: As an adolescent, you must take your time. Really seize the time to do what you want to do. When I was an adolescent I didn’t have many friends because I had to learn badminton, piano and art as soon as I finished school. I simply did not have the time to go shopping with friends, even now I don’t have friends from my childhood. For young people, my advice is just to cherish the moment, but to also listen to your parents’ recommendations because in a majority of cases, what they say is correct.


---------------
Translation: JYPwhispers
Take out with credit

Previous
Next Post »