[INTERVIEW] Ryu Won, The New JYP Actress From U.S.A... "To Hollywood Again"


We met JYP rookie actress Ryu Won (20). Ryu Won who debuted as Im Juhwan's younger sister Choi Haru in KBS 2TV's "Uncontrollably Fond", met the viewers as top actress Yoon Sohee in MBC drama "Missing 9" again.


In "Missing 9" which finished airing on the 9th, Ryu Won showed off her acting after drifting onto a desert island and received plenty of attention. Regardless of being a rookie actress, Ryu Won displayed her strong acting skills. Among the outstanding senior actors and actresses like Kim Sangho, Oh Jungsae, Jung Kyungho and Baek Jinhee, Ryu Won didn't have a cold feet and expressed a character of her own. Ryu Won herself mentioned that while filming with the seniors in "Missing 9", she felt and enjoyed the fun of being an actress.

"I'm so thankful to the seniors, director and writer. It's because there were so many nice people that I enjoyed the filming. I finished my filming in mid-February and watched the drama as a viewer after that. The (story) development was stifling, but it's because the development has to be so to create pleasure later on. I really enjoyed watching it."

"Missing 9" was a story about the whereabouts of the 9 people who survived a plane crash and the unraveling of the truth. It talked about the happenings to the people after the plane crashed onto a desert island. The actors had their filming on Jeju Island like it's a desert island.

"During the filming, it was really like a desert island. I guess it's because it's not our home, that's why everyone kept saying 'this place is just like a desert island'. Most of the staff couldn't go back to Seoul and kept staying in Jeju. Jung Kyungho sunbae was there for a long time. It was like drifting to somewhere to us all."


Wouldn't it be tiring to film along with so many seniors? When talking about the fighting scene with Baek Jinhee, Ryu Won said, "we'd get hit if we don't fight" and expressed the warm atmosphere on the filming site.

"Each one of the seniors whom I worked with is a precious relationship to me. Tae Hangho sunbae took care of me, Lee Sunbin unnie also talked to me so affectionately. Jinhee unnie and Kyungho sunbae as well. I didn't get to work with Chanyeol oppa a lot but he's easy-going and sensible."

"Missing 9" is the second work of Ryu Won who debuted through "Uncontrollably Fond". Since her first work, Ryu Won showed her natural acting and she said she tried her best to enjoy filming for her second drama.

"No matter what, I felt very pressured and nervous standing in front of a camera when filming. I told myself to not go too far and follow the flow. And that's why there were many parts that I felt unsatisfied. I could do better but I guess I was too nervous. So I tried my best to get used to the filming site and get along with the people there for the filming of "Missing 9". I talked much more and put down my self-consciousness, so it became more comfortable."



When she was grade 3 in elementary school, Ryu Won immigrated to the U.S. Ryu Won who spent her time as a student in the America participated and won in a beauty pageant for girls in their 10s. After that, she was cast by JYP casting director. Back then, Ryu Won was interested in fashion design and arts, so she was hesitant of going to debut in Korea, but with her father's enthusiastic encouragement, she came to Korea and debuted here.

"My dad made me participate in the beauty pageant and unexpectedly, I got the runner-up. Being an actress is also my parents' very supporting suggestion. I've came to Korea for 3 years now. My dad has come to Korea so he's living with me. When I was a trainee, I doubted whether this road of becoming an actress was right for me. Now, as I learn so much in filming site, I start to dream of acting different roles."

Spending her teenage in America, Ryu Won is a bilingual who is fluent in both Korean and English. Because of this, Ryu Won hopes that after firmly settling as an actress in Korea, she could work in Hollywood as well.

"If there's ever a chance, I want to go to Hollywood. I can do well with heroine characters. Just like how Kim Soohyun sunbae could appear in 'Avengers', I hope to do that too if the chances come."

Ryu Won spent her time as an acting trainee and debuted via JYP. As we asked if there's anyone she often contacts with or is close with in the company, she began to talk about TWICE who's in similar age as hers.

"They're all so busy that we cannot meet often but they're really nice people. I keep contact with TWICE's Momo unnie, Mina and Sana unnie, and we greet each other happily often. Tzuyu's also a very kind kid. Jeon Somi's been busy lately so we don't meet often, but we're supporting each other too."


Ryu Won gave up her living in the U.S. and came to Korea to become an actress. The second scene of her life has opened. Through what kind of acting would she, who has just stepped forward as an actress, bring people laughter and emotion? We'll have to see.

"It feels like the second scene of my life has just started. I don't have many experiences but I am eager when it comes to acting. I want to work steadily and learn a lot, and show a better side of me to the viewers. I'll act with my true heart to make the viewers resonance with me."

.........
Source: Star News via naver
Translation: JYPWhispers
Please take out with full credit.
Previous
Next Post »