[INTERVIEW] Suzy's Interview with Harper's Bazaar China


There are 12,600,000 results when you search the keyword 'Suzy' on Baidu [T/N: Popular Chinese search engine]. From a personal assessment, there is almost always a "one-sided" evaluation: Asia's famous superstar Suzy, known as "South Korea's First Love". Her rich resume and award-winning experiences can't help but let people be amazed.

She debuted as a member of group miss A in 2010. In 2011 she starred in school drama 'Dream High', which were the ratings champion for Monday-Tuesday dramas that year. Thanks to the above-mentioned drama, Suzy received the 'Best New Actress' award at the KBS Drama Awards. In the same year, Suzy was a fixed guest appearing on variety program 'Invincible Youth 2' and won 'Best Female Newcomer in a Variety Show' at the 2012 KBS Entertainment Awards.

She hit the big screen for the first time in 2012, winning 'Best New Actress' in film at the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards thanks to the romantic film 'Architecture 101'. Winning the 'Popularity Award' at the 33rd Blue Dragon Film Awards and many other awards in the same year, she became the first entertainer in Korea to win newcomer awards in the four areas of music, drama, film and variety.

Starring in historical drama 'Gu Family Book' in 2013, she won 'Outstanding Korean Actress' at the 8th Seoul International Drama Awards and 'Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries' at the MBC Drama Awards. She starred in historical drama 'The Sound of a Flower' in 2015 and romantic drama 'Uncontrollably Fond' in 2016, for which she won 'Best Star Award' at the Asia Artist Awards. Suzy released her first solo album 'Yes? No?' and had her solo debut in 2017. In the same year, she starred in fantasy-romance drama 'While You Were Sleeping'....


Where's your short hairstyle? How did it grow so quickly after you finished filming your drama?
Hahaha, I got hair extensions. Because it always takes time to style short hair whereas it's fine if you just roughly tie up long hair, it saves a lot of trouble. Even before actually, I really liked to change hairstyles to relieve stress. Dying my hair for example or getting bangs. This time's short hairstyle was indeed the first time I tried it, I didn't expect that the result would actually be pretty good. Although my heart was thumping and beating wildly when I went to get my haircut at the time, I was really scared!

How did Hongjoo's unique manner of speaking in the drama come about?
After discussing it with the writer Park Hyeryun, we decided to use this sort of particular accent. This accent was in fact one of the secondary writer's. I imitated the tone in order to reflect Hongjoo's lively and cute personality. I thought it was better to use a boisterous kind of rebuttal so that's why no one could interrupt when Hongjoo talked, she would also speak faster and faster. Because the script was long, there was a lot of dialogue and a lot of confessions too, it required a certain rhythm when talking so that's why that accent appeared.

Among the many characters you've played, which ones do you think have your reflection?
All of the roles have a reflection of me, often my own appearance would pop out when I act. If you look at it that way, 'While You Were Sleeping''s Hongjoo was the role most different to me. I thought it was more interesting because the role I was acting was frequently among the journalism community. Even though I felt very tired during filming at that time, thinking back on it now those were all beautiful memories.

What have you been doing lately after your drama finished? I feel like you're always preparing a new album or writing, did I guess correctly?
Gosh! How did you know? I even got goosebumps. I've written a lot of content indeed. I've always really liked writing lyrics, lately I've had a look at the notes, journal entries and things I've written with photographs and found that they're more like diary entries than lyrics. They're not diary entries from the same day but are rather things I recall, pictures in my mind of that time, content I've written from my feelings when I think back on those times.


Do you personally think you are a sexy woman?
Hahaha, I should be sexy. Actually a lot of people have asked me regarding the topic of "sexy woman". I think women who can stay professional, are accomplished, and are serious in their work regardless of whatever circumstances they are in are truly really sexy. It's the same for men too, a man who is taciturn and serious in their work is really sexy.

Are you constantly trying new things all the time in order to search out your new appearance or image?
It's really simple, because I can get tired of my image, while saying "It's boring", I look for new work and I'll also think about what will be fun to do, what is it that I really want to do and what will I do that will make me the happiest? Occasionally I'll have a moment when I feel like I'm struggling, I'll also occasionally cower. Sometimes I'll temporarily push back the things I want to do because I know what the "me" everyone likes and looks forward to the most is like. But it's not for a very long time because I still have a fickle side to me, hahaha.

At what times do you think that you are really happy*?
I feel really happy* even today, it's really interesting. Communicating with the production crew at the shoot location and encouraging one another other like today, that should be the happiest* time.
 *[T/N: The word used also means "blessed"]

What do you want to do most in 2018?
I want to go travelling alone, I also want to put together the texts I've written into a book and I also want to release another photobook. I'd also like to spend more time with fans in 2018 and hold a fanmeeting too.


------------
Source: Harper's Bazaar China, February 2018 (interview uploaded by 裴秀智家族_SuzyHome)
Translation by JYPwhispers
Please take out with full credit
Previous
Next Post »