[INTERVIEW] Baek Ayeon's Interview with Xportsnews


Singer Baek Ayeon has returned. It's another song that moves the hearts of women. When asked whether it's the story of her own experience, she answered with a 'no'. She even told us that she hasn't dated for around 4 years.


Baek Ayeon's 3rd mini album 'Bittersweet' has been released and the title track 'Sweet Lies' is receiving heated response. As expected, the new song expresses the subtle thoughts of love of female perfectly, just like 'Shouldn't Have' and 'So-so'.

"Recently, people would ask me if I'm dating anyone when they see me, but I haven't dated for 4 years now. I just keep liking someone one-sidedly. I couldn't even reach the 'some' stage. I'm a stay-home person so I don't meet people often. As I barely go out, there're not many chances for me to be in a relationship. Now that we're talking about dating, it's getting a bit sad. Even so, I don't feel especially lonely, or would think I need to find a boyfriend soon."

'Sweet Lies' provides sympathy to the female listeners, and it's on the top rank in digital music charts. We asked how she feels about it.

"Right now I'm very happy and thankful. I want to enjoy this moment forever. A lot of people were anticipating and waiting so I wondered if the song would receive their love. To be honest, after the digital charts were restructured, it was hard for me to predict how it'd turn out. That's why I thought to myself to just be satisfied to be able to release a mini album. The result turns out to be good, so I'm happy."

Baek Ayeon is the type of person who tears up a lot. Because of such a delicate personality, she'd cry easily while working too. After the recent naver Vlive where she celebrated her comeback, she cried too.

"During my hiatus, I really cried a lot. My album couldn't be released, so I wondered, 'what is the problem? Is it because of me?'. People around me would ask 'are you having a hard time?' and I'd cry too. But I haven't cried recently. Back in the days, I didn't think I had lots of ups and downs of my emotion, but as the time I stayed at home became longer, the ups and downs came back and forth. That's how I realize (I'm quite emotional). Up till now, I've been mainly showing the bright side of me. I want to show the charm of my down side later on."

Baek Ayeon expressed that she hopes not only the title track, but the b-sides in the mini album that she released after 4 years also give a great impression to others.

"It'd be great that people knows the album is packed with other songs. I will be singing live a lot too. I'll work hard to continue showing good performances."


Coincidentally, Baek Ayeon's promotion activities crash with TWICE's. The colleagues from JYP Entertainment therefore become competition on digital charts. Netizens have been calling them a 'team kill'. That is because on some charts, rank of TWICE's song fell because of Baek Ayeon's comeback, while on some charts, TWICE is firmly secured on their top rank that Baek Ayeon's new song couldn't stand out.

"It happened last year, and as expected, my promotion crashes with TWICE's again. There are some people who call this a 'team kill' but I don't think of it negatively. Many people are liking our songs, so we both gain good results and maintain a good performance on charts, don't we? Also, as a solo singer, it is very comforting and reliable to have people I know around me. Although we're still not that close, they're friends that I like very much."

Baek Ayeon chose Park Jimin as the closet friend she has among the JYP family members. Park Jimin gave a helping hand through a featuring in Baek Ayeon's new album. What's more surprising is that she showed her ability of rapping but not singing, giving the song a high completeness.

"It's my first time to work with a close friend. Since she's not singing, but rapping, the product came out even more refreshing. I'm a solo singer so I always do my recording alone. I still remember when I went into the booth with Jimin for the group-singing part. I really had fun working. I always meet up with Jimin. When we go to the karaoke, we always sing 'TT' and 'CHEER UP'. It's a side of me that I don't show on broadcast."


Baek Ayeon has not forgotten her gratefulness towards JYP producer Park Jinyoung. Because he saveed the charm of Ayeon's own vocal color, and helped a lot in her growth in musical area.

"Back in the days, I didn't know the meaning of 'half air, half voice'. So I just did what Park Jinyoung PD told me to do. But now I think I'm starting to understand it. Rather than delivering the lyrics clearly, he emphasizes on singing naturally like talking. I followed his instruction despite not liking it, and now I just sing like that. Now I can't sing while using my force."

Park Jinyoung participated in the lyrics-writing in the b-side 'Just Friends'. Baek Ayeon gave her honest thoughts on recording with Park Jinyoung and how she feels about him.

"I heard that PD-nim gives out marks when doing recordings. As I went through the process, I became to have the desire of getting high marks. Therefore, I had myself immersed in the recording. At the end, I got 100 marks and was told to have succeeded. Haha!"


The presence of SBS 'K-Pop Star', which made Baek Ayeon into a singer, is a kind of love-and-hatred. Although it exhausted Baek Ayeon, she was able to pursue her dream because of it.

Unfortunately, 'K-Pop Star', the program that created a lot of stars has ended with its season 6 in April.

"When I heard about 'K-Pop Star' ending, I went to talk with the producers, and it was a really strange feeling. It's a great memory that I'm thankful of. In the past, I thought it'd be great to quickly get rid of the label of 'K-Pop Star contestant', now I hope that it'll remain in the memory of the public forever."

However, Baek Ayeon said that she wouldn't be able to participate in 'K-Pop Star' if she turned back the time. The biggest reasons are the fierce competition, and the great pressure of having to complete one stage performance every week.

"Even if there's another chance, I wouldn't be able to challenge myself. I just want to strive for my study in music. In fact, back then I held the thought of 'this is the last' while giving up everything and entering the audition. I don't really remember what kind of thoughts and determination I had when performing."


If that's so, why did Baek Ayeon cry so much?

"Even if I say I'm going on to the program again, I'd think I would cry because of the hard time and just quit. During the time I was on 'K-Pop Star', Park Jimin and Lee Hi were very young but they sang really well, and the male contestants were popular, so I was very worried standing among them. Whether I had the ability to be on live broadcast was questionable, and it's my first time to prepare one song per week. On top of that, I had to appeal the audience with my charm. The stress was so serious. I once prepared a performance with the song 'Can't Fight the Moonlight', an OST from 'Coyote Ugly'. It's my first time dancing while singing. However, during rehearsal, because of the dancer falling down from the chair, my trauma became more serious. As a result, I ruined the performance in the live broadcast. I thought I would definitely be eliminated, but it was Yoon Hyunsang who got voted off that day. I can't even explain the guilt and sense of shame I felt in words. I cried during the broadcast, and cried so much when I got back to the dorm too."

Baek Ayeon added that she wants to become a professor of Practical Musicology major. Currently, she's having a break from Practical Musicology in Howon University. She expressed that when she is able to handle her studies and promotion activities at the same time, she will return to school again.

Baek Ayeon's new album does not only include 'Sweet Lies', but also 'Just Friends' in which Park Jinyoung producer participated in, the old school 'Jealousy' in which Park Jimin features, 'Magic Girl' that showcases the clear vocal of Baek Ayeon, 'Screw You' produced by Brother Su that wittily expresses the cute grudges of women and 'The Last of You' that maximizes the emotions with Ayeon's calm vocal and lyrical melody.

Source: Xports News via naver (1, 2, 3)
Translation: JYPWhispers
Please take out with full credit.
Previous
Next Post »