[INTERVIEW] Kang Yoonje's Interview with Sports Donga

[Rookie Interview: What About Him?] Kang Yoonje “Hope to be like 93-line Yoo Seungho·Park Bogum soon”




1. Name: Kang Yoonje

2. Birthday: 23rd November 1993

3. Company: JYP Entertainment

4. Major: Department of Theater and Film, Hanyang University

5. Filmography: [Drama] Web drama ‘Magic School’ ‘The Relationship that We Have’ (2017), SBS ‘You Are My Present’ Web drama ‘Miraculous App Store’ (2016), Web drama ‘Dream Knight’ (2015)
[Film] ‘Marital Harmony’ (2016), ‘The Long Way Home’ (2015)

6. Personality: Serious, but also goofy
"If it's work or other business then I'll be very serious. Sometimes because I'm nervous, I can't really tell when other people are joking. My private and public [personality] are very distinct. I'll joke around a lot when with people I'm close too. Those I get along with all say I'm silly. But I don't think that's the case, it's just that I treat every important matter seriously"


7. Hobbies, Specialties: Drawing monsters
"Just some offhanded doodling, after finishing drawing I find the pictures I've drawn are all odd creatures. Unlike other people, I don't relax when playing games, instead I end up more stressed.  After about 4-5 hours of concentrating on drawing however, it allows myself to become more relaxed. It was my childhood dream to become a cartoonist, so I would imitate the drawings in comic books. I have my own sketchbook but I'm a little embarrassed to show it to other people since I never studied it properly."


8. Fan attracting point: silly/goofy
"Whether it be my good friends or fans, they all say they like that I'm silly. I'm not deliberately like that, maybe it's just that I'm more simple and straightforward"


Q. [I'm] Curious as to how you got into JYP Entertainment
- During the April when I just entered university after repeating my studies twice, an acting teacher I knew recommended I attend the JYP audition. That was the first audition in my life, but because I had retaken 2 years, I was full of preparation in regards to acting and was very confident in myself. I showed lots of self confidence from the first round of the auditions, I think that's how I attracted them. The first interview I had was with JYP and I qualified just like that, my heart was full of gratefulness.

Q. You had to retake two years in order to major in acting, you must've really been firm in your dream to become an actor
- Yes, I had originally dreamt of being an actor but I didn't have the confidence so I hid my dreams. I was a science student and was originally planning on studying civil or mechanical engineering after my college entrance exams but as I studied I started wanting to live out the life I wanted to. From then on I started to prepare for the acting examinations.

Q. Why did you hide your dream to become an actor?
- Because my mother really likes watching movies. Actors look very cool, so from my second year of junior high I had this dream. But gradually I found that I wasn't cool and felt that only people totally different to me could be actors. In my third year of high school I felt very worried about my future. At that time it took a lot of courage to become a part-time extra at KBS. When I arrived at the set I discovered that I wanted to stand in front of the camera more than I had imagined. Added to this was the fact that I had this empty feeling when I did the college entrance exams. At that time this dream of becoming an actor came up again so the second day after the exams finished I applied for acting school.

Q. You went on the second day after exams ended? Were your parents okay with that?
- I'm the second child and also the youngest child in my family. My parents raised me with the idea that it'd be fine as long I was healthy. I was very fortunate that my parents trusted and supported my decision a lot. It's also because of their support that I can now study the profession I want and begin as an actor.

Q. Is it difficult for you to appear self confident?
- From when I younger, I didn't listen when others praised my looks. I was more introverted and didn't know how to dress myself. Up until I was 22 I only wore sportswear and glasses as well. I always wear contact lenses now because my vision is poor. I never thought about needing to put product in my hair and because I had attended an all boys middle school and high school, I entered my twenties without ever looking face to face with a girl before.

Q. Then when was the first time you looked face to face with a girl?
- In acting lessons. (laughs) You look into the other person's eyes when you act. Although appearance is very important for an actor, I think that charm is even more important. And it's a person's individual charm that sets the foundation for their acting skills - actors that act well all have many charms. As long as one acts well, it'll make others feel that they are also very attractive, isn't it? So I want to become an actor that is recognised for their acting ability. Truthfully speaking there are so many good looking people in the entertainment industry so it’s better that I not just foolishly rely on this face of mine.

Q. But you also have the face of an idol. Has JYP ever suggested that you become a singer instead?
- The company wouldn't have that thought, right? (laughs) Firstly, I myself have never had the thought of debuting as an idol. In comparison, I have a greater desire to act well. Above all however, my skills are a bit...(laughs). I had to learn modern dance and musicals for my college entrance exam. I discovered then that although I wasn't tone-deaf or completely uncoordinated, I was only just barely able to complete what the teacher wanted us to complete.

Q. You play the role of a science prodigy in the recently filmed web drama 'Magic School'
- It's the role of a scientist who pursues rational thinking, my hairstyle is the typical bowl-cut. I referred to the acting styles of Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Sherlock' and Sheldon in 'Big Bang Theory'. Comparing my character as a 'sexy brained male', he's the type that is incredibly intelligent - someone whose words are like a machine gun "da da da da" speaking with no end, that kind of role. While watching 'Sherlock', the actor was able to use his language to express the feelings of his character without changing his facial expressions and I wanted to try to act out that same result. Thinking back after filming was completed I realised there were lots of regretful moments, the kind that's such a pity to the point of kicking the blankets at home. (laughs)

Q. You filmed alongside Yoon Bak, Nichkhun, GOT7's Park Jinyoung, Shin Eunsoo and other JYP Actors, correct?
- It felt very comfortable filming together with the senior and junior actors from JYP, however at the start there were a lot of scenes that I shot by myself so I thought that was a pity...Ah! Shin Eunsoo was so cute. Because my character was very rational, I couldn't smile too much but because Eunsoo was too cute, whenever I saw her I would always end up smiling without realising. Ryu Seungsoo really had a force to him, he also had the sense of a veteran and I could feel a wealth of experience from him. Shooting was completed very enjoyably.



Q. Is there any role you particularly want to try?
- A King. There are many charismatic roles in historical films/dramas such Lee Byunghun in 'Masquerade', Yeo Jingoo in 'Warriors of the Dawn', Yoo Ahin in 'The Throne' and Park Bogum, who is the same age as me, in 'Moonlight Drawn By Clouds' etc.. I also have the confidence that I would do well if there was an opportunity for me to challenge such a role

Q. Looking at it that way, you're in the 93-line with Yoo Seongho and Park Bogum and other actors, so you'll work hard in order to be able to be mentioned with them
- Definitely!!! Haha. Because I've prepared for a long time and accumulated some experience, now is the time I hope that more people can recognise me. I will act with confidence

Q. Finally, please talk about your resolutions for the future
- To become an actor that acts well, receives recognition from staff and is also a cool actor with a good reputation that is able to receive love from audiences. Not someone who is fake or pretends - someone who lives an honest life both in front and away from the camera lens.

.........
Source: Sports Donga via Naver
Translation:
CHN-ENG: JYPwhispers
Please take out with full credit
Previous
Next Post »