[INTERVIEW] Jeon Somi “Challenges? I’m done with audition programs now”




For Jeon Somi (16), 2016 was an especially unforgettable year. From a trainee to debuting as an idol through Mnet's “Produce 101”, she participatied in all sorts of variety shows to display her individual charm. Before I.O.I held their final concert and after their ‘Very Very Very’ promotions had passed, we interviewed the already familiar Somi on such a day.



Q. This is already the third shoot with Star1, [we] meet again after three months
A. Yes, it’s already been three months? I feel like time passes really quickly, I think I.O.I’s first pictorial was with Star1. I was really nervous at that time, haha. I had appeared in broadcasts but it was still the first time shooting a magazine pictorial. And I had shot [a pictorial] with Nayoung unnie and Yoojung unnie three months earlier, I had always shot with the unnies but this time I’m shooting with Star1 by myself, it needs to come out well (laughs)


Q. Congratulations I.O.I on winning the rookie award, is there anything from the acceptance speech you wanted to say but didn’t have the time to?
A. The rookie award was presented by the TWICE unnies, it felt really strange - they were the unnies who I spent time together with, the unnies that I participated in the audition program with. Receiving the rookie award there felt very different. Standing there with the unnies but with the identity of another group was also amazing. I truly felt very satisfied and felt it was very significant to receive the rookie award. I’m really grateful to Mnet and the national producers, I wouldn’t be standing here in this position now if it wasn’t for the national producers. The I.O.I unnies have really worked hard, promoting with other groups on one side and also promoting with I.O.I at the same time. As such, this was the result of one year’s effort so I felt really good.


Q. The January 22 concert is I.O.I’s last schedule
A. [I] really worked hard to prepare because there was a lot I wanted to show the fans. There is also a ‘reverse stage’ where you’ll also see a sexy side of I.O.I rather than a cute I.O.I, I don’t know what they [the fans] will think of it, haha. It’ll be good if our concert can be long-lasting in the memories of our fans.


Q. What will you miss the most when I.O.I ends?
A. I will miss it all. Towards the fans who have given us all the love and support, I feel very sorry - I’ll miss them a lot. During this time, the group members and I had begun to understand one another and then to separate again also makes me feel very sorry. The I.O.I members will all start their respective activities so I’m really looking forward to what type of appearances will come out.




Q. Being a music show MC there are ‘team’ stages
A. I’ve always wanted to do a special stage with fellow MC, UP10TION’s Wooshin. He’d sing I.O.I’s ‘Very Very Very’ and I’d just sing ‘White Night’ (T/N: UP10TION’s song), it’d be a lot of fun. As a matter of fact, I’ve discussed this a lot with the production unnies. Haha


Q. A fan received full marks on their entrance exams, saying they succeeded because of Jeon Somi
A. I also know his name, he’s called Lee Young Rae! I feel it was amazing and felt very grateful that there is someone who says they have strength because of me. Hearing them say that they gained strength after seeing my efforts made me feel satisfied with all the moments of hard work in the past.


Q. In Mnet’s ‘Produce 101’ you were recognised by the nation’s people as an idol center. What do you think is the reason why you received so much love?
A. Being genuine? That is, not showing false affections. Haha. When Produce 101 was broadcast I saw comments saying that I was honest, there were a lot of comments like that. In fact, it doesn't require much to be frank.


Q. The male version of Produce 101 is coming out, please give us some tips as the center
A. Just like what I said before, to be honest! Think it through in your head before speaking, as if it is to be discovered by everyone. The same with when you’re crying, when you’re emotionless, or when you’re happy and laughing you should be very honest, that is better. That kind of appearance is remembered by the viewers one by one. We didn’t forcefully practice the Yum-Yum stage, allowing us to enjoy it happily. This kind of practice stage received a lot of love. Same with the Bang Bang stage, you need to be genuine and excited to achieve the best.



Q. What would you like to commend yourself the most on after going through a second survival show?
A. The fact that I challenged it again. I started practicing after Mnet’s ‘SIXTEEN’ ended, the company was troubled over the proposal of ‘Produce 101’. There was a lot of burden on the image of JYPE. I was afraid to hear the words “not as good as we’d imagined” so I made a firm decision to not bring any damage to the company’s image and to do a good job in the program. I was really lucky, haha.


Q. Your schedule is very busy, “Vitamin Somi” wouldn’t be without stress either, do you have any solutions?
A. If I can’t sleep for a few days I’ll just listen to music. I like to listen to Justin Bieber’s ‘Journals’ album the most. I also have Justin Bieber’s concert t-shirt. I also listen to all of DAY6’s songs. Ballads are actually not very suitable.


Q. What would you like to do the most if you had a day off?
A. I’d like to ride around on my bike, the house is around a nice district for riding bikes. It would also be nice to go with my father. I’d like to visit all the hidden fine foods stores one by one.



Q. If you challenged something again?
A. I’d like to challenge cooking! Not an audition program haha. I watched Chayeon unnie on tvN’s ‘Eat Sleep Eat’ and really wanted to go. I can really eat [well]. As for how much I can eat, when I appeared on KBS2’s ‘Battle Trip’ with Jieqiong unnie, I even ate pig’s brain. It wasn’t bad? It was like soft tofu, haha.


Q. For Somi, what kind of year was 2016?
A. Unforgettable, this year became a turning point.Thanks to Mnet’s ‘Produce 101’, I was able to leave behind trainee life and debut, even though I was full of worry and anxiety at the start. Ah, the first showcase left the deepest impression. Hearing the “JYP” part in the song Park Jinyoung PD gave us really was amazing. The same for when I received first place on ‘Produce 101’. I was paralysed in my seat when I heard “JYP Somi”. Actually I didn’t know if it was first place or second place, my legs weakened as soon as I heard my name. The kind of feeling that day is something I won’t be able to forget for a lifetime.


Q. What would you add if you were to add a modifier in front of your name [T/N: What kind of person would you like to be known as]?
A. The never-ending Somi. I believe that [a person’s] age is like that (laughs) - it's not over yet. Just like how (SHINee) Taemin sunbae is young and successful now too. Sure enough I’d like to have the kind of continuous activities that are like without an end. Somi is “I will be back”, so don’t think that Somi will disappear, it would be good if you kept waiting. Hahaha


-----------
Translation:
KR-CHN: Somi Bar
CHN-ENG: JYPwhispers
Take out with credit.

Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Write comments