[INTERVIEW] Park Jimin's Interview With Star1


20 years old. And among all, there's Park Jimin who's at such age that everyone would be excited just by the thought of it. Park Jimin returns after a year with a solo album, that includes a self-composed song about her own story, that shows that much of her own self. She has fully shown herself as a happy virus that naturally captures the hearts of fans, with the friendly image of younger sister, just through this interview. and I have gathered the stories of her.

How do you feel about turning 20 years old?


I thought there'd be many things that would change after turning 20, but there weren't much that have changed. It is not as splendid as I expected it to be, either. So, it might sound somewhat wrong, but I feel like being in the 10s was better. (Laugh)

What do you want to do the most after turning into an adult? For example, a break away?

There's a curfew in our company, but once we become adults, it doesn't exist anymore. Don't people want to escape at 12 if they are told to come back before 12? (Laugh) That's why I told myself  'I should leave the house at 12!' when I become an adult. But as I left the place, there wasn't much to do, so I went back home.


How about dating?

Dating? I want to do so but it's not working for me.

Your comeback is coming in this month, please introduce us the album.

I participated in everything for this album so it's very meaningful to me. Actually, when we create an album, people from the company will do everything for us. But for this solo album, I participated a lot. It's more complicated and difficult than I expected. But all because of it, I learnt a lot.

Q Is there any part that you participated a lot (for this album)?

First of all, I participated in song composing and lyrics writing. After recording, I also gave thought to whether I could show the meaning of the song, and recorded again (till I'm satisfied). I also signed as a composer too. It was quite difficult as it's the first time that a song that I compose gets to be released. (laugh) I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm content because I gained many experiences.

What's the difference of it with the album 'Hopeless Love' you released last year?

The previous album gave out a dark vibe. In fact, it was a song that I had difficulty digesting of while working on it. I thought to myself if other people would feel the heaviness as they listen to the song. It was hard for me to express as I had never experience the pain of love (laugh), the songs this time are however, all stories about me that I wrote with honesty, so they're brighter.

What are the pros and cons of promoting alone comparing to promoting as a group like 15& ?

First and foremost, promoting as a group does not make me feel lonely. Also, Yerin is at the same age as me, and we're friends, so it's more comfortable. When there's a stage where we have to sing lots of songs, and I don't have to sing all on my own, but to separate parts and work together? That's the pros of working in a team. But the music that Yerin and I want are quite different. The fact that I can do all the things that I want is probably the pros of solo promotion.

What is the difference between Baek Yerin's and your music style?

My personality is more upbeat, and I like songs with beats, while Yerin likes indie music. The music that we want to pursue are different.

Baek Yerin once said in an interview that she "had many conflicts with Jimin when talking about work". Is that because of the different music colors of you two?

Yes, that's right. That plays a big part of it. Both of us have our own greed as well. But we've found the balance point. We'll prefer songs that are more public-friendly when we are together.

It's said that along with your comeback, the 'JYP Troika' has completed. That refers to Baek Ayeon, Baek Yerin and Park Jimin, the three female solo singers. What do you think about such title? Does it become a burden?

I like that. Because all of us JYP artists are doing well this time. Wonder Girls sunbae-nims are flying high right now too. (Laugh) There's almost no burden. Even if the result doesn't come out nicely, I'm still thankful that the songs that's written by my own stories are released. Though I might feel bad if my fans are upset by that.

If there's someone who gave you the most support during your preparation for the album, who would that be?

As my hiatus got prolonged, I went through a slump. During that period of time, whenever I had my vocal lessons, my vocal teacher would always say something nice to me. And when self-esteem dropped, my teacher would always provide help beside me. Uhm. And 2PM's Wooyoung oppa! He told me to work hard on my music and gave me many advises so it's really memorable to me.


There are plenty of concerts held by JYP's artists as a whole. While preparing for the concert, do the singers of the company grow closer?

There're people that I'm close with ever since we were trainees. First of all, unnies and oppas are so very nice. To be honest, as they're the sunbaes, it could be quite intimidating. But they always reach out first and would cook meat for me (laugh). Everyone's open-minded. But then what's upsetting is that when being on broadcasts, JYP artists are always frozen. That's why people say they're no fun, but in reality, they're funny people. So that's too bad. 

Who's the funniest?

Personally I think it's 2PM's Chansung oppa. Actually, all of the 2PM oppas are really funny. And DAY6 oppas might seem scary as they're a band, but they're really interesting people.

I saw an article of your photo with Wonder Girls' Hyelim, with the title of "JYP's Representative Beautys". You seem to be close with Wonder Girls, but who's the closet with you among them?

It'll be Hyelim unnie. We got close as we talked in English. Unnie's also the maknae of the group. We meet a lot outside too. I also go to her place to cook some cakes. Rice-cake cake. (Laugh) It was delicious.

You've become a heated topic with your beautiful selfcas. Can you recommend us some selfie phone applications?

Ah, phone apps? (Laugh) When I take my selcas, I use Camera 3xx. I try not to do much retouching. Because it can be very obvious. People could tell that I look really different when they see me in real life. When taking selcas, the angle and the lighting are important. Don't take it from the bottom. If you take the photo with the camera above you, the selca would come out nicely. (Laugh)

If we mention 'Park Jimin', 'diet' is a keyword that can't be avoided. You become the talk of the town as you lost weight and became prettier, is there any special diet that you adopt?

My weight changes a lot easily. In fact, I have to lose weight healthily, but if I don't set a specific date, I always give up midways. That's why I just don't eat. I don't eat more than 500 calories per day, and when I reach the goal of weight I want to have, I try to maintain it. By then, I can intake more calories each day, and I would focus on exercising. But I always fail to maintain my weight. I'd be 'Ah, since I've lost this much, let's just eat~'. This time, I think of it as the last diet of my life.

So you're managing your weight at the moment?

Of course. My plan is to lose 10kg more. I'm preparing for concert recently so I gained some weight by eating snacks. I need to have a serious diet again.

There're plenty of audition programs like Mnet's 'Produce 101'. How do you feel as the winner of the 1st generation of audition programs?

I think they are all stressed. There's no way that people don't get stressed with competing with others. Some people loose their confidence by that too. Personally, it was very hard for me and I was very stressed, but I grew up by it too. It's something that's beyond I could expect. When I was appearing on audition programs, I was too young so I couldn't think of it as a competition. I think I won due to my luck. I guess it's the best to not think of too much in audition (programs).

Would you be very stressed if you go back to that time?

Don't be like that to me. (Laugh) Programs like 'Produce 101' is totally competitive. I think I'd be seriously stressed.

Eric Nam, who hosted Arirang TV's 'After School Club', is loved by everyone these days. What's the most charming point of Eric Nam from Park Jimin's point of view?

Oppa's charms? (Laugh) He's just the same oppa as he is in broadcasts. He is really the same. Though he'd say 'I'm different, right?' in waiting room, he's really just the same. He doesn't joke around that much behind the scene, maybe? And his biggest charm, from what I see, is the way he always think of others before himself. Saying things like this sound so cheesy. I hope he won't be reading this. (Laugh)

Is there any guy who appeared on ‘After School Club’ that's closet to your idea type? 

There was once when Yoon Mirae sunbae, Tiget JK sunbae and Bizzy sunbae came. They are really good-looking. It's because I really like people who rap. I saw them on stage, and met them in real life. They are so cool.

Do you have any plan on getting rid of the label of 'competitors' and perform together on stage with Lee Hi, who's also on SBS 'KPOP STAR Season 1'?

Of course I do. I still haven't mentioned it to the company but I am making a song that I will produce with Lee Hi. But it's certainly difficult. I mean to work with Lee Hi unnie. I really want to do it though. We always talk about working hard to create an album together too.

Is there anything you want to try other than singing?

I want to try acting too, something like a sit-com? I want to be in musicals too. And... I want to make bread. That's very sudden of me, right? (Laugh) That's because I love bread. Though I'd gain weight again if I make them myself. (Laugh)

What's the uniqueness of Park Jimin, among all the female singers?

My weight is quite 'friendly' (laugh) and I seem like a younger sister from the neighborhood? That's why I have a lot of unnie fans. They always say that they want to have a younger sister.

Which singer do you respect the most and is treated as a role model of yours?

This is very difficult to answer. All the people who sing are very cool. It's Sohyang unnie that I like since ages ago. I began to sing after watching Sohyang unnie. My dream was to become a CCM singer. [T/N: CCM = Contemporary Christian music] My ultimate goal is to have CCM in my album.

The last question. What's Park Jinyoung to Park Jimin?

You mean PD nim? (Laugh) Just as I call him my teacher, he's someone whom I can learn a lot from. We always imitate him in the company, and we can always talk comfortably with him. PD nim is a very cool person. He makes me want to create music just like he does as I grow up. He's cool all the time, except during recording. Ha ha ha. He's full of aegyo too, so I want to learn from him.

trans: jypwhisper | source
Previous
Next Post »