[INTERVIEW] Fei for BAZAAR KOREA: Keep Calm and Carry On

Dedicated attitude, the level of professionals, Keep Calm and Carry On! Fei spends the most beautiful time of life calm and collected.

Gently flickering neon lights in a private room, a woman on a camera roll -  from a warm and good feeling to a slightly explicitly sexy transformation. Using her alluring disposition and expressions, the red-headed woman performs "No matter what you want, I will do it for you" in a lingering whisper, causing the appreciating male's vision to blur. Among the numerous sexy concepts at the standpoint of males and for the intention of  displaying a sexy charm is "Park Jinyoung's Sexy Line". The fifth lead following Uhm Junghwa, Park Jiyoon,  Ivy and Sunmi is miss A's Fei. Through its sexy choreography and a "19+" rated MV, Fei's solo debut song "It's Okay, Fantasy" allows for rave reviews of "sexiness" while simultaneously having greater expectations for praise.


"(Park) Jinyoung oppa came up with the concept, and then I complied completely with his ideas. It wasn't because he forced me to, but rather because I think that it was what I ought to do. I believe that a composer's opinions are the most important because the picture in the songwriter's mind and their ideas can be completely reflected in the song." Fei did not have any worries towards a sexy, tempting concept but rather displayed a calm attitude. She believes that in order to fully digest the song, trusting and complying with the composer's opinions is something that goes without saying. An actor should firstly approve of and then listen to their director's ideas with no doubt whatsoever.

Perhaps its is because Fei is not the most prominent member within miss A that the concept of her solo debut album was unexpected for a lot of people. Not like the nation's first love-turned national actress Suzy, neither like the talented and charismatic Min, what is Fei's solo like? "A lot of people were surprised at the news of my first solo. Actually I had really hoped for an opportunity to challenge a solo for a very long time. Because of this, the fact that I can carry out solo activities is a very important start to me."

Fei answered all the questions in slightly rusty but extremely clear Korean. When Happy Together 3 brought up family she couldn't help but shed a tear, unable to speak continuously for a long period of time with a weak appearance; My Little Television showed a model image of a warm female idol; replying to all questions in a straight-forward and unhesitating manner. Are these images Fei's new appearance or what she's always been like, a lot of people find this interesting. The photo-shoot and interview this time took a total of 5 hours. Her professional standards can also be seen from the speed of the photo-shoot. Asking for simple requests towards the atmosphere to be achieved and the clothes that she wanted to change into, using poses not inferior to those of professional models the shoot was finished almost in a flash. I understand the saying that a
person's character/spirit is expressed through the emotion in their eyes after shooting that day, it was only through the photos that [we] could understand what Fei was saying, all too sorry.

In order to make a dance video, in between completing every shot [we] invited her to perform the dance. It was truly astonishing seeing her expressions transform in such a flash every time she began to dance. She jokingly asked the choreographer and camera director what she should do in order to come out greater and more beautiful in the photograph, as soon as the shoot started however she'd immediately enter "dancer mode". "Even after just debuting, I believed expressive eyes were very important. This is because before I debuted as a member of miss A I completed activities in China as part of the group 'Sisters'. During this time, whenever I watched the monitor I would think, why am I lacking so much charm? My character/spirit also failed to come out. Then one day someone pointed out to me that expressing through the eyes was very important, I suddenly came to my senses. For a performer, expressing using the eyes is the most important. To be able to convey a mood to the audience while onstage requires emotion via the eyes." Fei gave an unexpected answer to the question "What do you think is your greatest charm?" ([I] originally thought I'd receive just a superficial answer).

Having beauty not inferior to that of an actress, a healthy and sexy figure and natural posture from being a strong dancer and expressive eyes that even more so perfectly combine these traits together makes Fei the first member of miss A to "launch a solo attack" without a doubt. There aren't many idols who are all-rounded like Fei. Last year [Fei] began acting activities, revealing possible opportunities for her to become and actress. Unexpectedly bringing a 'girl crush' aura to the Shaolin temple (Fists of Shaolin Temple), unexpectedly one day tying her hair tightly and putting on an apron to display extraordinary culinary abilities (Masterchef Korea Celebrity, My Little Television). "Fei is someone who continuously challenges completely new areas but isn't greedy, and also is not someone who likes competition but is rather someone who only wants to achieve the best in their own position. This is because of her perfectionist nature and habit of being unable to resist demonstrating all 100% of her capabilities."
Being a leader in the Shaolin Temple showed a martial arts with the embodiment of courage and strength. Winning four times on "Master Chef Korea Celebrity" and hence being the competitor with the most wins left a deep impression on everyone. In other words, the Fei that we see is better described as the combination of calmness and enthusiasm rather than [someone] with a burning hot stubbornness. Fei has another "passion" that we do not know of but is something we must know of - that is her pure love towards music and the stage. "When I stand on the stage I am exceptionally happy. Although I have tried acting, the two are really different. Emitting a charm full of self-confidence onstage is something only a singer can do! When I stand onstage I become a completely different person, so being a singer is something I want to do my entire life!"

A lot of people are being asked "Are there any new areas you would like to challenge?" [Others] feel flustered when this question is asked if their answer is "no", however Fei didn't! "[I] don't have any overly specific ideas for the future, only to concentrate my energy to do what I'm doing now and to hope achieve even better. " Rather than saying I met the sexy Fei that day of the interview, it's better to say that I met a mature Fei, a persistently pursuing, full of courage, calm and gentle Fei, a woman who faces herself, faces reality and displays a modest, elegant and graceful appearance.




-----------
Source: BAZAAR KOREA (September issue)
Translation:
  KR-CHN: Fei China Fanclub (x)
  CHN-ENG: JYPwhispers
Take out with credit
Previous
Next Post »